Discrimination is the prejudicial treatment of an individual based on their membership in a
certain group or category. It involves the actual behaviors towards groups such as excluding or restricting members of one group from opportunities that are available to another group. I surely never thought that I would fall victim to discrimination!
Recently I have taken offense to a few facebook posts and forwarded e-mails that have crossed my path, which discriminates against those who are not “Australian.” As my accent gives away, I AM a minority here in Australia. Although the majority of Australians are more than understanding, kind, welcoming and helpful to those of other walks of life, there are the few that
think that anyone that is not born and raised in Australia can in no way be Australian. There is also the huge debate about the thousands of boat people that are currently illegally entering
Australia, which make the immigration issue a hot one. With Australia Day just around the corner there are bound to be postings regarding “Australia Pride.” This seems to be a grey area for me. I live in Australia, I was born and raised in the US; so does this make me Australian or American? Personally I like to think I am BOTH! I feel that I am lucky in the fact that I have lived, experienced and celebrate both cultures. Unfortunately some people don’t see it as I
do. I celebrate Australia Day just as most others here in Australia do, at a BBQ with friends and family. I also celebrate Independence Day on July 4th.
So, I guess it comes down to the fact that I just don’t fit inside the black box that makes a
person “Australian” or “American.” I take pride that I am lucky enough to embrace both cultures. Besides, both flags are red, white and blue!
I debated for some time about whether to post this or not. I guess my point in posting it was for everyone to think about what you say, post or forward. There is no perfect mould for us human kind. We do not all come from the same backgrounds, nor do we all act or behave the same. No one is perfect. This is why we should all think twice before we act negatively against others. ALL
negatives words hurt or will hurt someone. There is a simple solution, “if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.”
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment