
I have known that I wanted to be a nurse since I was four years old. I am starting to rethink my thoughts and seek out a new profession. Late last year, during our dry season, I was predicting that this wet season would be a "Big Wet." I am not sure where or why I decided to make that prediction, but I did. Many people just looked at me and agreed, as if to say "whatever!" After all what does an American chick know about weather predicting in a country half a world away from where she is from. And on top of it all a climate that is about as extreme opposite as you can get.
Needless to say we have had a good wet season. Around Katherine there has not been huge heavy rains that have caused flooding, but frequent rain showers. Some storms big measuring in the inches and some just wet the ground. Most weeks since the beginning of November we have had at least three days with a rainfall total of more than half an inch. For this year Katherine is a bit above average with 30 inches of rain to date. Remember that is just for the 2011 year. Darwin has received over 10 FEET of rain so far for this 2010/2011 Wet Season. So, I think my prediction was pretty close by stating it would be a "BIG Wet!"
Although I am happy that I was correct I don't think I will be changing my profession to meteorology any time soon. I best stick to helping the sick people!! Although it would be pretty simple forecast for us up here in the Top End. Each day during the wet season the forecast reads, "Partly cloudy with a chance of an afternoon shower or storm." And during the dry season the forecast reads, "Sunny and warm." Pretty simple!!
No comments:
Post a Comment