About two weeks ago I was busy cleaning and the kids were playing in the same room. I did not notice that Hayden had pushed a chair next to the TV and climbed up onto it. As I turned around I saw Hayden attempting to get the Koala Brother's DVD out of the package. In his haste he managed to crack the DVD on one side. As I turned off the vacuum cleaner and headed towards him he looked at me with a very long face and said, "Uh, oh tola DB broken." Which translated means, Uh, Oh Koala Brother's DVD broken.
Let me just stop the story and take a quick minute to give you a little history about the famous Koala Brother's DVD. The DVD was given to Hayden as a gift from Butch's sister Kellie back when Hayden was born. Unfortunately the DVD was made for Region 4 which is Australia, so we were only able to hear a garbled audio, no picture, when we tried to play the DVD in our American DVD player. So we packed the Koala Brother's and brought them with us to Australia.
From the time the shipping container arrived to the day the DVD was cracked, I think we watched Frank and Buster everyday, sometimes a couple of times a day. So when the DB of the tola's was broken it was a major event. Hayden quickly learned that only grown-up's are supposed to play DVD's and CD's. He is also learning the significance of money and how to use it. We have told him that since he broke the DVD he needs to work to earn money and save his money until HE has enough money to buy a new DVD. So each day he helps with dishes, washes out the buckets after feeding the calves and generally has good behavior in efforts to earn money. He has a plastic bag that we have written, "Hayden's Money" on. He keeps his money in the bag and waits patiently until there is enough money in the bag to buy a new Koala Brother's DVD. Hayden is doing better each day, he still asks to watch the tola's but then says, "No, broken. Sava money, no spenda, buya new tola's." So I think the concept has sunk in!
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Poor guy! I am proud of you though, that is a good lesson learned. I have done that with the boys too, because kids need to understand what it takes! He will be so happy when he gets to buy it and he knows he worked hard for it! You are such a good mommy!!!
Post a Comment